Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Crapshoot

In class this week we digitized what footage we managed to collect--you know, the footage with NO SOUND. With all the groups trying to digitize at once, we ended up waiting a while for our clips to be finished. I was hoping by this point to be able to begin editing, but some major scheduling and film storyline issues have prevented us from even filming a solid chunk of our movie. Even though we did manage to shoot about three minutes of the new storyline last week, we decided to re-shoot it because it seemed too chaotic with all of us yelling and arguing.

My group talked a bit about our plans for shooting while we were waiting on the footage to be digitized, and we made yet another plan. I volunteered to write out a brief guideline of the script (with suggested lines and shots) for the new storyline and then send everyone a copy for approval. And since we were able to snatch the camera for a week, Sam and Tommy said they would film over the weekend. Also, both Lynn and Katie said they would help in any way they could with the filming process (since they, and I, are all editors there really isn't a lot to do until the filming is complete). Even though, we didn't get a lot finished during class time last week, I think we all left feeling a little better at least knowing that we had a plan.

However, now it is Tuesday and we still have not filmed anything. A series of avoidable problems got in the way of filming this past weekend, such as not knowing where the camera is and scheduling conflicts. Lynn, Katie, and I all, independently, decided that since we were having so much trouble finding a time when we could all meet together to film that we would let Sam and Tommy take over the actual shooting. That way, there are only two schedules to deal with and work around (well, along with the actor's schedules) instead of five. Also, some other film groups mentioned that all group members were not needed on set; filming went smoother and quicker when there were fewer schedules to work around.

So, as of right now, I'm stressed about the film. I don't know when the filming will take place and I'm almost to the point of picking up the camera myself and figuring out how to work it. In saying all this, I'm not particularly worried about the film being finished, I'm just worried about the quality of the product and the unnecessary stress involved with completing it on time. Being an editor, my work begins with the raw clips, and now with just a week to go, I'm not sure how much I can get finished. Lynn also being an editor helps relieve some of the pressure, but I still can't wrap my head around not having ANYTHING to start editing yet. While other groups are thinking about soundtracks and effects, our group has yet to even shoot!

One good thing about being the editor as well as writing the script (even if it is just a basic script) is the fact that I can visualize the film in my head. I know the shot sequences and effects I want with certain scenes (and several quick options for each idea to allow for other group member's input). I think that since I have an idea of where the film will go, then the editing process should go relatively smooth. It's just a matter of getting the variety of shots, the right actors to nail the characters, the little logistical requirements (the props and camera shots), and simply enough footage to work with in order to complete the film and call it a success.

So, here's where we are at the moment:
-Sam and Tommy have free-reign over filming...as long as it is finished before Thursday at class time (so we can digitize). Supposedly, they will film tomorrow. Since I am free tomorrow I told them that I will help in any way they need me to. I expect to help more behind the camera (guiding the shots through the vision in my head) than in front, especially since Sam (the director) will be serving as one of our main comedic actors in the film.

Meanwhile, Lynn, Katie, and I are awaiting the digitized footage impatiently so we can fulfill our group roles. Lynn and I will edit the footage while Katie will edit the sound.

Things need to start falling into place...soon.

1 comment:

  1. though my group is done with filming i understand the stress. i am worried that i will not have time to finish the sound editing. i was hoping i could start it this week but it's looking like the film editors won't be done till next week.

    ReplyDelete