Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Workshop!

This week was all about tying up loose ends before we start filming our project. Eric gave us some tips on just about every aspect of filming--from production to shooting to set design. Some of the ideas I didn't even think about until Eric mentioned them, such as: You shouldn't leave a wall blank in the background since it is a great opportunity to create atmosphere in a film.

I never thought background scenery was all that important but now I find myself noticing the setting behind the actors in shows and movies that I watch. The scene would be sterile without something in the background to add interest and believability. Little magnets on a refrigerator behind a family eating breakfast add a sense of realism.

Also he stressed the need for a Producer role in our groups. The producer is the person who manages the location agreements, the actor agreements and questionnaires, and organizes everything. This is perhaps the person I admire most in the filmmaking business. The main aspect of filmmaking that overwhelms and amazes me (when I see a quality finished product) is the organization is takes to put everything together. The producer seems to be the reason why filming runs smoothly (or not) on set. The organization required for those multi-million dollar blockbusters is especially overwhelming. I am an organized person in that I know (pretty much) where everything is. I can find what I need to find in time, but having to organize the workings of an entire film is a bit daunting. However, I think with everyone in my group working together we'll be fine when it comes to keeping things in line. We decided that everyone should have their own copy of the script and any other papers that pertain to their "job" in their own folder in order to stay organized.

After the workshop in class we were able to meet with our groups to discuss the first draft of our screenplay. I think our meeting was very beneficial. We ended up changing our film idea completely. I realize that it may sound a little stressful the idea of having to start over and write a whole new script. However I think since everyone in our group is a lot more comfortable and excited about our new story, the writing process will go a lot faster and smoother than last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment