Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day Four

After learning about the mechanics behind the different techniques used in film to create emotion and tone, I don’t feel so overwhelmed with the whole “create your own film” thing. The film making process doesn’t seem so daunting now that I know how the filmmakers do some of the little tricks they use to create a given effect. I’m sure I can use some of the tools Eric showed us in our short film at the end of the semester.

I’m particularly interested in the use of the camera in perspective shots. I like how point of view shots give the audience the eyes of the character—I think it adds another, more interactive, element to a film and the story. I feel that point of view shots gives the audience an opportunity to be involved in the story more so than being a looker-onner. Over the shoulder shots are also interesting in that it feels more secretive to me. It’s like you’re seeing the character’s reaction to another character or action that no one else is seeing. Overall, I like the idea of seeing things from many different angles, especially if the shot gives us a perspective not humanly possible (like an aerial or clear underwater view). The pool scene in Sunset Boulevard as I said before is one of my favorite examples of a really interesting and thoughtful use of perspective. Also the scene in Almost Famous in which William sees Penny off at the airport on her way to Morocco is a good example of point of view shots creating emotion. William Miller watches Penny’s plane leave through the airport windows and Penny watches William run with the plane through her little round window. The juxtaposition of these two point of view shots emphasizes the emotional connection between the characters. I like how the perspective lends film meaning and emotion. I don’t think I would be shy about moving the camera around and trying different angles in our film.
Now the image effects as far as shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focal length are still a little intimidating. Anything to do with buttons on the camera I’m still a little touchy with (so hopefully I won’t be the one to operate the camera). I still feel apprehensive when it comes to which camera settings to use and in what combinations to create the best shot. Maybe all it will take is some playing around (the very careful kind) with the camera to find the best look.

Lighting seems really fun to me however. I think with more research and experience I can come up with some cool lighting effect ideas. Eric’s tips about using cardboard cutouts and reflective insulation panels inspired to look at things around me for their reflective/light bouncing potential. I think light is one of the most creative elements of a film when utilized properly. Again, Sunset Boulevard is a brilliant example with the play on spotlights and creepy shadows/harsh lights over faces to heighten stress and of course, drama. I really enjoy movies that play with light almost as another character.

I think I already have a start on the “eye for lighting” as well (I like to think I do anyway). Austin made a comment just tonight about how testy I get if I don’t have the right light in my room while doing homework or watching a movie, etc. And I must agree. Lighting is important to me. I hope I don’t turn out to be really bad at film lighting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling more empowered! Keep it simple, keep it achievable. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete